Rod Licence

Anyone aged 12 years or over fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in England or Wales must have a valid Environment Agency Rod Fishing Licence.

Rod Licences are available from every Post Office in England and Wales.  Failure to produce a valid Licence could result in prosecution and a fine of up to £2,500.

A Rod Licence does not give you permission to fish.  For this, you need the permission of the owner of the water before you start fishing.  This will usually entail the purchase of a Fishing Ticket for that specific lake, river etc. 

A Rod Licence does not give you the right to take fish from any water.  This will depend on local byelaws and you must have permission from the owner of the water where you are fishing.  Anybody caught taking fish without permission is liable to be prosecuted under the Theft Act.

Further information can be obtained from the Environment Agency on 08701 622 622.

sitemap | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement